Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lobbying at the California State Capitol






On April 8 and 9, more than 1,000 Farmers Insurance agents, district managers and employees gathered near the Capitol building in Sacramento for the 17 th annual California Legislative Conference. This was my first conference and I found it very interesting. We all met with our respective Senators and assebly people. My senator was Dennis Hollingsworth from the 36th District. Although he was unavailable for the meeting he did send his communications director Gerrit Buddingh. We discussed some bills that were being proposed that we had some issues with. I had never seen how the process works up close like this and it was amazing to watch as group after group came in and out of each Senator's offices lobbying for their causes. I did step into Govenor Arnold Schwarzeneggers office just to peak in. I have included a photo I took in front of his picture with Maria Shriver.

On the second day we had a visit from Farmers Insurance newest spokesperson, Edward James Olmos. He gave us an inspiring talk about the importance of grassroots involvement. He praised Farmers for being a company “that cares by becoming so involved in communities across America" It was a very uplifting talk and I am glad he is a spokes person for our company. Here is a pic I took with him.

Lastly, we had a visit from Insurance Commissioner Steve Poizner . He spoke to the Farmers Insurance group and said “Farmers is in a class by itself in dealing with last October’s Southern California wildfires.” As an agent that helped evacuated families at Qualcomm staduim that meant a lot to me that our commissioner sees the good that Farmers Insurance has done with those fires.

No comments: